Summer Vacation Scholarship Program
Applications for this program are now open. Applications will be received until 16 July 2014.
- A Summer Vacation Scholarship provides students with practical experience in a research area relevant to their degree.
Each year DSTO offers a limited number of scholarships over the University summer vacation period with 68 placements granted last year at four sites across Australia.
The primary objective of the scholarship is to support the education of promising tertiary students by providing them with a means by which they can satisfy the formal requirement of their degree that they complete and industry placement. The principle aim of the placement is to provide students with the opportunity to:
- Demonstrate the practical application of their academic knowledge
- Be exposed to general business and professional practices in the work place, and
- Better understand the complexity of the work environment (for example, relationships with colleagues, and employer's expectations and working to real deadlines).
Successful applicants undertake a 12-week research project at a DSTO establishment and receive a tax-free stipend of $4,530.
Further funding for travel and/or accommodation is not available. Students should take into account the stipend amount when considering the location of projects.
Projects may be available at any DSTO site across Australia, including:
- DSTO Edinburgh, near Adelaide, South Australia
- DSTO Melbourne, Victoria
- DSTO Sydney, New South Wales
- HMAS Stirling, Western Australia
- DSTO Brisbane, Queensland
- DSTO Canberra, ACT
- DSTO Scottsdale, Tasmania
Click here for a map of DSTO locations.
Eligibility for the DSTO Summer Vacation Scholarship Program
Please note that students must meet certain scholarship requirements to qualify. To be eligible for a Summer Vacation Scholarship at DSTO, you must:
- be an Australian citizen;
- be a full-time tertiary student who will be continuing full-time tertiary studies in the forthcoming year;
- have completed two years of tertiary study before commencing your project; and
- successfully undergo a Defence security clearance.
How to Apply
All applications must be completed on-line via the DSTO Jobs List. Applicants should carefully consider the list of available scholarship projects, taking into account the topic, suggested study disciplines and location of the project(s) of interest. Applicants should keep this list available for continued cross-reference while completing the on-line application form. All on-line applications must indicate the correct identifying project numbers to ensure applicants are considered for their particular project(s) of interest.
When completing the on-line application process, you will be able to save your incomplete application and return to complete it at a later time.
Please note: the entire application must be completed and submitted by the official closing date or you will not be considered for a project.
In order to complete the on-line form, we will require the following information:
- personal information including contact telephone number(s), fax and email details if applicable
- detailed information about your academic qualifications and results
- details of any academic, community or other awards
- information about any course-related industry experience placements if applicable
- details of current and past employment, and
- telephone contact details of two referees.
When you have completed the final page of the application form, click on the “submit” button. On successful submission, you will receive an email confirming your application has been lodged.
Applications are open until 16 July 2014. Late applications will not be accepted.
Selection is based primarily upon academic merit and the alignment between each student’s course of study and the available projects.
When the application period for the Summer Vacation Scholarship program closes, all applications undergo a selection process. This process can take up to four weeks to complete, and includes:
- Initial screening and short listing of applicants. Applicants may be contacted to discuss their applications during this period.
- Formal scholarship offers. Applicants contacted at this time should receive documentation within six weeks of providing their written acceptance of the offer.
All applicants will be contacted regarding the success or otherwise of their application.
Student scholarships at DSTO are highly sought after and limited places are available - what will make you stand out from the crowd?
Refer to the Student Scholarship Opportunities Fact Sheet for more.
For further information and details contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org