In December 2011, the Prime Minister Hon Julia Gillard announced that responsibility for national security science and innovation would transfer from her department to the Department of Defence.
On 1 April 2012, DSTO established the National Security Science and Technology Centre (NSSTC).
NSSTC mission: To coordinate and foster the development of science and technology to enhance Australia's national security.
The NSSTC is responsible for:
- implementation of national security science and technology policy and coordination processes
- management of the DSTO National Security Program
- fostering of international national security research collaborations
- strategic analysis of national security priorities and resourcing
- integration of counter-terrorism technologies to benefit Defence and civilian agencies
Phone: (08) 7389 6832